Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mother's Day

This is NOT what really happens on Mother's Day














Notice that the title of this post is not HAPPY Mother's Day.  It's just "Mother's Day". 

Mother's Day is not happy for all mothers.  My own mother died long before I became a mother myself.  And my own experience as a mother has been that of a single mother who lives across the country from my nearest relative.  I have been a true single mother, with no help, financially or otherwise, from my son's father, and no help from any human being other than the ones I have paid to  help me.

Very few people read my blog, but if you are reading this post, I have  a request.  Do you know anyone who is a single mother?  If so, please realize that she most likely is not receiving cards, candy, flowers or Mother's Day brunch in a fancy restaurant.  Ask her if there's anything you can do for her.  I am posting this the day before Mother's Day.  If you read this after Mother's Day, do it anyway~

If I'm the single mother you know, then please apply this request to another single mother.  I am not looking for attention for myself.  I have my own plan for how to get through Mother's Day this year.  I'm going to spend some time imagining what my mother would say to me about how to spend the day, and then I'm going to do it.  (I hope I don't imagine that she tells me to run out and buy a new car........)

And I wish you a happy day tomorrow, but not because it's Mother's Day.


.

2 comments:

Lynilu said...

That's a great request, Betty.

You're right on about the day not being happy for many mothers, single OR married. My kids live far away, and they always remember me. I'm blessed in that. But I miss my mom so much every year. So it's not just the happiest of times, you know.

I will definitely make an offer to one of the single moms I know. :)

B.S. said...

THANK YOU, Lynilu! And I hope your day tomorrow is far more positive than negative.

Many hugs,
Betty